News & Updates

Stay informed on all things Census – locally, statewide and nationally.

A special three-judge court in New York on Thursday blocked the Trump administration’s efforts to make an unprecedented change to who is included in the census numbers that determine each state’s share of seats in Congress.
The Trump administration must, for now, stop winding down in-person counting efforts for the 2020 census, a federal judge in California ordered on Sept. 5, while a legal fight over the shortened schedule for the national head count continues.
The U.S. Census Bureau is ending all counting efforts for the 2020 census on Sept. 30, a month sooner than previously announced, the bureau’s director confirmed Monday in a statement. That includes critical door-knocking efforts and collecting responses online, over the phone and by mail.
President Trump released a memorandum Tuesday that calls for an unprecedented change to the constitutionally mandated count of every person living in the country — the exclusion of unauthorized immigrants from the numbers used to divide up seats in Congress among the states.
The Trump administration on Tuesday said that it is appointing two new high-level officials to the Census Bureau, sparking speculation among census experts that the White House could be trying to influence the outcome of the 2020 count.
U.S. Census Bureau field offices, considered the heart and soul of the effort to count every American, are beginning to reopen in Southern California months after they folded up shop in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
Some workers for the 2020 census are heading back to rural communities this week in more than a dozen states as part of a phased-in restart of field operations, which were suspended in March because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The Census Bureau said it would extend the deadlines for collecting census data and would ask Congress for a delay in providing final counts used for congressional redistricting.
Civil rights groups, lawmakers, attorney generals, former Census Bureau directors, former Commerce Department secretaries and actors like Rita Moreno and George Takei said Monday they were forming a coalition to monitor and protect the confidentiality of the 2020 census.
While tens of millions of U.S. households continue to fill out 2020 census forms on their own, the coronavirus pandemic is forcing the Census Bureau to suspend field operations for the once-a-decade head count for two more weeks until April 15.
Through facilitation of the OC Census Community Table, in which nearly 350 organizations are taking part, Charitable Ventures is coordinating messaging around the Census and promoting Census education.
As cities and states across the country announced lockdowns to slow the spread of the coronavirus, the Census Bureau said Friday that it will extend the deadline for counting everyone in the United States by two weeks.
Leading up to the 2020 census, dozens of community groups in Orange County are working to reach undercounted and underepresented populations through community engagement and messaging campaigns.
Critics say the misleading mailers — in envelopes labeled “Do Not Destroy. Official Document” and including a lengthy questionnaire on blue-tinted paper similar to the type used by the real census — are designed to confuse people and possibly lower the response rate when the count begins in mid-March.
The U.S. Census Bureau recently launched an update to 2020census.gov that includes content in 59 languages, including language assistance guides and videos that explain how to complete the 2020 Census questionnaire online, by phone or by mail when it becomes available in mid-March.